A standard sample of apricot jam was prepared and sucrose was replaced with Stevia sweetener (Rebaudioside A), one of the glycoside stevia compounds, with replacement percentages of 25, 50 and 75%. The physical, chemical and sensory properties of all treatments were studied while they were stored for 60 days. It was found from the results that the highest significant value was obtained at the end of the storage period in the values of each indicators of the total acidity percentage of treatment T3 amounted to 0.893% and the percentage of total soluble solids for standard treatment T0, which amounted to 66.270%. while the least significant value was at the end of the storage period in The values of each indicators of pH for treatment T2 which reached 3.190 and T3 which reached to 3.187 and the concentration of vitamin C in treatment T0 amounted to 7.477 mg/100 g and the percentage of moisture in the standard treatment T0 amounted to 28.413% in the same period. The type of treatments and the storage period affected the sensory properties (taste, odor, color and general appearance) of apricot jam, and the degrees of acceptance of all treatments were high at the beginning of storage, but decreased at the end. Replacing the sucrose in them with rebaudioside A by 25 and 50%, respectively, as the use of these two percentages hid the bitter taste left by the sweetener after tasting, and the taste was somewhat similar to the taste of standard treatment T0 at the beginning and end of storage, as well as improving the color, flavor and general appearance in them. T3 was not accepted by the assessors despite the high color and general appearance due to the bitter taste left by the sweetener after tasting with the increase in the proportion of substitution
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Abou-Arab, E. A., Abou-Arab, A. A., & Abu-Salem, F. M. (2009). Physicoche –mical assessment of natural sweeteners steviosides produced from stevia Rebudiana bertoni PLANT. Journal of Food and Dairy Sciences, 34(12), 11037-11057.
- Antar, Salem Hammadi (2010) Statistical Analysis in Scientific Research and the SAS Program. University of Mosul, Dar Ibn al-Atheer for printing and publishing.
- Anton, S. D., Martin, C. K., Han, H., Coulon, S., Cefalu, W. T., Geiselman, P., & Williamson, D. A. (2010). Effects of stevia, aspartame, and sucrose on food intake, satiety, and postprandial glucose and insulin levels. Appetite, 55(1), 37-43.
- AOAC. (2012) Official methods of analysis Association of Official and Analytical Chemists 17thedn. Washington, D.C
- Ayour, J., Benichou, M., Alahyane, A., & Harrak, H. (2020). Relationships between Biochemical Criteria, Volatile Compounds, and Sensory Profiles of Ten apricot clones at commercial and consumption ripening stages. Journal of Food Quality.
- Broomes, J., & Badrie, N. (2010). Effects of low-methoxyl pectin on physicochemical and sensory properties of reduced-calorie sorrel/roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) jams. The Open Food Science Journal, 4(1).
- Cheng, L. L., Xiao, L. M., Chen, W. X., Che, F. B., & Wu, B. (2012). Identification of compounds characterizing the aroma of oblate-peach fruit during storage by GC-MS. Journal of Stored Products and Postharvest Research, 3(5), 54-62.
- Codex Alimentarius (2020). International Food Standards, FAO/WHO. Standard for jam, jellies and marmalades CXS 296-2009, Adopted in 2009. Amended in 2017, 2020.
- Hossain, M. F., Islam, M. T., Islam, M. A., & Akhtar, S. (2017). Cultivation and uses of stevia (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni): A review. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, 17(4), 12745-12757.
- Hutchings, S. C., Low, J. Y., & Keast, R. S. (2019). Sugar reduction without compromising sensory perception. An impossible dream?. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition, 59(14), 2287-2307.
- Ishaq, S., Rathore, H. A., Majeed, S., Awan, S., & Zulfiqar-Ali-Shah, S. (2009). The studies on the physico-chemical and organoleptic characteristics of apricot (Prunus armeniaca L.) produced in Rawalakot, Azad Jammu and Kashmir during storage. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 8(6), 856-860.
- Jribi, S., Ouhaibi, M., Boukhris, H., Damergi, C., & Debbabi, H. (2021). Formulations of low-sugar strawberry jams: quality characterization and acute post-pandrial glycaemic response. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 15(2), 1578-1587.
- Kamal, T., Khan, S., Riaz, M., & Safdar, M. (2015). Functional properties and preparation of diet apricot jam. J. Food Process. Technol, 6, 475.
- Khan, R. U., Afridi, S. R., Ilyas, M., Sohail, M., & Abid, H. (2012). Development of strawberry jam and its quality evaluation during storage. Pakistan Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 45(1), 23-25.
- Kovačević, D. B., Maras, M., Barba, F. J., Granato, D., Roohinejad, S., Mallikarjunan, K., & Putnik, P. (2018). Innovative technologies for the recovery of phytochemicals from Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni leaves: A review. Food chemistry, 268, 513-521.
- Kumari, N., & Kumar, S. (2017). Chemistry and analytical techniques for ent-kaurene-glycosides of Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni-A review. Journal of Applied and Natural Science, 9(4), 2114-2126.
- Lateef, M.A.A., Noori, A.M., Abid, N.A., & Saleh, Y.M. (2021). A review on macronutrients effect on growth and yield of stone fruit. European Journal of Agricultural and Rural Education. Vol. 2(12):34-39.
- Lateef, M.A.A., Saleh, Y.M., & Noori, A.M. (2021). Effect of Some Microelements on the Growth and Yield of Apricot Prunes Armeniaca L. Journal of Global Scientific Research (ISSN: 2523-9376), 6(11), 1843-1849.
- Lateef, M. A. A., Fadhil, N. N., & Mohammed, B. K. (2021, November). Effect of Spraying With Cal-Boron and Potassium Humate and Maturity Stage on Fruit Quantity, Quality Characteristics of Apricot Prunus Armeniaca L. CV." Royal". In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (Vol. 910, No. 1, p. 012038). IOP Publishing.
- Mahony, A. M. Y. (2011). Effect of color on the odor, flavor, and acceptance properties of foods and beverages.
- Meilgaard, M. C., Carr, B. T., & Civille, G. V. (1999). Sensory evaluation techniques. CRC press.
- Rahman, T. U., Amanullah, N. T., Tahir, A., Rahman, A. U., & Khan, A. (2018). 13. Evaluation and preparation of guava jam stored at ambient temperature. Pure and Applied Biology (PAB), 7(3), 1064-1073
- Salar, F. J., Agulló, V., García-Viguera, C., & Domínguez-Perles, R. (2020). Stevia vs. Sucrose: Influence on the phytochemical content of a citrus–maqui beverage—A shelf life study. Foods, 9(2), 219.
- Samuel, P., Ayoob, K. T., Magnuson, B. A., Wölwer-Rieck, U., Jeppesen, P. B., Rogers, P. J., ... & Mathews, R. (2018). Stevia leaf to stevia sweetener: exploring its science, benefits, and future potential. The Journal of nutrition, 148(7), 1186S-1205S.
- Satpathy L., P. Naganandini, D., B.P. Priyanka & P.P.Siba (2021). Quantitative Determin- ation of Vitamin C Concentration of Common Edible Food Sources by Redox Titration Using Iodine Solution.Platinum Open Access Journal,Volume 10, Issue 3, 2361 – 2369, 1 India.
- Shah, W., Khan, A., Zeb, A., Khan, M. A., Shah, F. N., Amin, N. U., ... & Khan, S. H. (2015). Quality evaluation and preparation of apple and olive fruit blended jam.Global Journal Medical Research: L Nutrition and Food Science, 15(1), 1-8.
- Singh, D. P., Kumari, M., Prakash, H. G., Rao, G. P., & Solomon, S. (2019). Phytochemical and pharmacological importance of stevia: A calorie-free natural sweetener. Sugar Tech, 21(2), 227-234.
- Sutwal, R., Dhankhar, J., Kindu, P., & Mehla, R. (2019). Development of low calorie jam by replacement of sugar with natural sweetener Stevia. Int J Cur Res Rev| Vol, 11(04), 10.
- Touati, N., Tarazona-Díaz, M. P., Aguayo, E., & Louaileche, H. (2014). Effect of storage time and temperature on the physicochemical and sensory characteristics of commercial apricot jam. Food chemistry, 145, 23-27.
- Wani, R.A., Sheema S., Hakeem S. A., Baba J.A., Umer, I., Pandit, A.H.,….. & Parray, G.A. (2017). Preservation of Apricot Jams (Prunus armeniaca L.) under ambient
- Temperature of cold arid region. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 6(8): 3747-3753.
- Vidhya, R., & Narain, A. (2011). Formulation and evaluation of preserved products utilizing under exploited fruit, wood apple (Limonia acidissima). AmericanEurasian Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, 10, 112–118.