Production of the sand becomes a significant problem throughout the life of wells, especially in poorly consolidated reservoirs. This issue frequently leads to tube buckling and abrasion of the down-hole and surface equipment as a result of the inflow of sand. In addition, the costs associated with the loss of hydrocarbon production, work-over operations, and the processes related to the repair and re-installation of the electrical submersible pumps (ESP), and the need for disposal of sand in an environmentally acceptable manner. In this article, the difficulties with sand production that arise during drilling and production operations are thoroughly reviewed. The consequences and mechanisms of sand production, the factors influencing sand production capacity (i.e., sand production causes), as well as the remedial options were discussed. Eventually, this article can be utilized as a reference for any issue concerning sand production in oil and gas wells.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- J.-F. Nauroy, Geomechanics applied to the petroleum industry. Editions Technip, 2011.
- M. A. Issa and F. A. Hadi, “Estimation of Mechanical Rock Properties from Laboratory and Wireline Measurements for Sandstone Reservoirs,” Iraqi Geol. J., pp. 125–137, 2021.
- S. O. Olayiwola and M. Dejam, “Synergistic interaction of nanoparticles with low salinity water and surfactant during alternating injection into sandstone reservoirs to improve oil recovery and reduce formation damage,” J. Mol. Liq., vol. 317, p. 114228, 2020.
- M. Adil Issa, F. Ali Hadi, and R. Nygaard, “Coupled reservoir geomechanics with sand production to minimize the sanding risks in unconsolidated reservoirs,” Pet. Sci. Technol., pp. 1–19, 2021.
- J. J. Zhang, Applied petroleum geomechanics. 2019.
- M. N. J. Al-Awad, “The mechanism of sand production caused by pore pressure fluctuations,” Oil Gas Sci. Technol., vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 339–345, 2001.
- S. M. Willson, Z. A. Moschovidis, J. R. Cameron, and I. D. Palmer, “New model for predicting the rate of sand production,” 2002.
- I. Palmer, H. Vaziri, S. Willson, Z. Moschovidis, J. Cameron, and I. Ispas, “Predicting and managing sand production: A new strategy,” 2003.
- S. T. Pham, “Estimation of Sand Production Rate Using Geomechanical and Hydromechanical Models,” Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng., vol. 2017, 2017.
- T. Junmano, B. Lee, G. Grant, P. Raipairi, N. Viriyasomboon, and N. Nopsiri, “Sand Production Management the Critical Challenge in Zawtika Gas Production,” no. 2015, pp. 1–20, 2016, doi: 10.2523/iptc-18839-ms.
- E. F. Araujo Guerrero, G. A. Alzate, A. Arbelaez-Londono, S. Pena, A. Cardona, and A. Naranjo, “Analytical prediction model of sand production integrating geomechanics for open hole and cased–perforated wells,” 2014.
- O. S. Isehunwa and O. Olanrewaju, “A simple analytical model for predicting sand production in a Niger Delta oil field,” 2010.
- X. Yi, P. P. Valko, and J. E. Russell, “Predicting critical drawdown for the onset of sand production,” 2004.
- S. Ashoori, M. Abdideh, M. T. Hayavi, and O. Branch, “Prediction of Critical Flow Rate for Preventing Sand Production Using the Mogi-Coulomb Failure Criterion,” Sci. Int., vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 2029–2032, 2014.
- Completion Technology for Unconsolidated Formations., vol. Revision 2. 1995.
- W. L. Penberthy Jr and C. M. Shaughnessy, “Sand Control, SPE Series on Special Topics,” Soc. Pet. Eng., p. 1, 1992.
- O. N. Vincent, S. O. Abiola, O. O. Felix, and J. A. Ajienka, “Sanding in Oil Well Reservoir Completions,” 2012.
- S. Zhou and F. Sun, “Sand Production Mechanism and Changes of Rock Properties Affected by Sand Production,” Sand Prod. Manag. Unconsolidated Sandstone Reserv., pp. 31–55, 2016, doi: 10.1002/9781118961865.ch2.
- H. Ben Mahmud, V. H. Leong, and Y. Lestariono, “Sand production: A smart control framework for risk mitigation,” Petroleum, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2020.
- H. H. Abass, H. A. Nasr-El-Din, and M. H. BaTaweel, “Sand control: sand characterization, failure mechanisms, and completion methods,” SPE Pap., vol. 77686, 2002.
- J. M. Cook, I. O. R. Bradford, R. A. Plumb, and S. C. Research, “A Study of the Physical Mechanisms of Sanding and Application to Sand Production Prediction,” 1994.
- J. Carlson, D. Gurley, G. King, C. Price-Smith, and F. Waters, “Sand control: why and how,” Oilf. Rev., vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 41–53, 1992.
- A. Kim, “Sand control mechanism and its impact on mature fields,” Retrieved Febr., vol. 19, p. 2013, 2012.
- A. Nouri, H. Vaziri, H. Belhaj, and R. Islam, “A comprehensive approach to modeling sanding during oil production,” 2003.
- C. A. M. Veeken, D. R. Davies, C. J. Kenter, and A. P. Kooijman, “Sand production prediction review: developing an integrated approach,” 1991.
- S. K. Subbiah, A. Samsuri, A. M. Hussein, M. Z. Jaafar, Y. R. Chen, and R. R. Kumar, “Root cause of sand production and methodologies for prediction,” Petroleum, 2020.
- A. Salahi, A. N. Dehghan, J. S. Zakariaie, and A. Davarpanah, “Sand production control mechanisms during oil well production and construction,” Pet. Res., 2021.
- N. Morita, D. L. Whitfill, O. P. Fedde, and T. H. Lvik, “Realistic Sand Production Prediction: Analytical Approach. Paper SPE 16990,” 1987.
- J. Tronvoll, N. Morita, and F. J. Santarelli, “Perforation cavity stability: comprehensive laboratory experiments and numerical analysis,” 1992.
- J. Tronvoll and E. Fjaer, “Experimental study of sand production from perforation cavities,” in International journal of rock mechanics and mining sciences & geomechanics abstracts, 1994, vol. 31