This paper is a pragma-rhetorical analysis of a speech given by a member of the English Royal Family with the goal of convincing the reader of their point of view. Persuasion can be thought of as the process of swaying the decision-making process of another individual toward a specific option or line of action via the use of arguments or reasons, as well as by the use of appeals to both feeling and intellect. Additionally, it can be thought of as the act of swaying the minds of others through the use of arguments or reasons. (Cherry,2022). This study addresses how one member of the royal family deploys successfully the pragmarhetorical strategies to persuade the people about the sincerity of his stance. To this end, this paper ventures on analyzing Prince Harry's speech of secession from the Royal Family
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Archer, D. et al (2012). Pragmatics : an Advanced Resource Bok for Students.
- Routledge : Applied Linguistics.
- Arends, D. & Kilcher, A. (2010) Becoming an Accomplished Teacher. Taylor& Francis Group.
- Aristotle (1991) On Rhetoric : A Theory of Civic Discourse .OUP. USA
- Carston , R. (2002) Thoughts and Utterances : the pragmatics of explicit communication. Oxford Blackwell
- Cherry, K. (2022) . What Is Persuasion. VerywellMind. (online) Verywell Mind.
- Available at: www.verywellmind.com/ what is persuasion ( accessed 22nd April,2023)
- Corbett, E. (1990) Classical Rhetoric for Modern Students. OUP Cruse,
- A.(2006) A glossary of Semantics and Pragmatics.Ediburgh. EUP
- Duranti, A. (2006) The Social ontology of intentions. SAGE Journals. Vol.8. Issue .1. https://doi.org/10.1177//1461445606059548
- Eugene, G. (2009) "Aristotle on the Kinds of Rhetoric". Rhetorica: A Journal of the History of Rhetoric. 27 (1) 1-18 doi:10.1525/rh.2009.27.1.1
- -Fareed, H and Harbi,D.Z.( 2020) Civility in Imam Hasan's Speech: A pragmaRhetorical Study
- -Francesca, R. (2013) Rhetoric and Pragmatics; suggestions for a fruitful dialogue. In Perspectives on Pragmatics Philosophy,eds.Alessandro
- Capone, Franco Lo Piparo, Marco Carapezza, 537-556. Cham :
- Springer. -https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2017.06.034
- -IIie, c. (2006) Parliamentary discourse". In Eccyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, edited by Keith Brown,2nd edition, volume9,188-197. Oxford:
- -IIie,C (2021) Evasive answers vs.agressivequestions.Questioning and Answering Practicesacross Contexts and Cultures, 323,35.
- Kmiec,D & Longo, B. (2017) Writing to Convince: Persuasive Documents. Willy
- On Line Library. https:// doi.org/10.1002/97811190702-69.ch5(accessed 20th April , 2023)
- -Korta,K&J. Larrazabal (2002) Pragmatics and Rhetoric for Discourse Analysis. University of Basque Country(4),pp.7-13
- -Larson, Charles U. (2010) Persuasion: Reception and responsibility.Boston, MA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
- Lucas, Stephen E. (2009) The Art of Public Speaking. 10th ed. New York, NY:
- The McGraw-Hill Companies.
- -Maalej, Zouheir A. (2015) "Persuasion in the Discourse of Billboards: A Stylistic Account".
- King Saud University, Research Gate. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.1.5040.0800 Mey, Jacob L. (2009) Concise Encyclopaedia of Pragmatics. Oxford: Elsevier Ltd.
- -McQuarrie, Edward F. and David Mick (1996) "Figures of Rhetoric in
- Advertising Language". The Journal of Consumer Research, 22.4:424438. DOI: 10.1086/209459·
- -Moezzi,M. Janda,K.B., &Rotmann, S(2017) Using stories , narratives, and storytelling in energy and climate change research. Energy research & SocialSciences,31,1-10
- -Moriarty, Sandra, Nancy D Mitchell, William D Wells. (2012) Advertising & IMC: Principles and Practice.Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice
- Persson, J. & Ylikoski , P (eds.) ( 2007) Rethinking Explanation.Springer -Perssson,J.&Ylikoski,P.(2007) Rethinking Explanation:Boston Studies in The Philosphy f Science.Springer
- -Rowe, J. P., McQuiggan, S. W., Mott, B. W., & Lester, J. C. (2007). Motivation in narrative-centered learning environments. In Proceedings of the workshop on narrative learning environments, AIED (pp. 40-49).
- Short,W.M. (2021) Can Figures Persuade? Zeugma as a Figure of Persuasion in Latin. CUP
- Turner,J.H. (2002) Face to face: Toward a sociological theory of interpersonal behavior. Stanford University Press.
- Walton ,D. (2007) Media Argumentation : Dialect, Persuasion , and Rhetoric. CUP
- Royal Prince Harry. ( 2020 , January 20 ). Prince Harry's Sentebale speech in full as he speaks of 'sadness' at stepping back from Royal Family.