Gout is the most common type of inflammatory arthritis that is caused by the deposition of monosodium uric acid crystals in and around peripheral joints. This study was carried out to investigate biochemical and genetic aspects of gout arthritis. Two approaches were adopted, the first included the study of some biochemical parameters (serum uric acid, creatinine and WBC count) in gout patients and the second comprised the study of the role of gene in the variation site (rs2231142) in the incidence of gout. Blood samples were collected from 25 gout patients and 25 healthy subjects as control group, during the period from December 2020 to May 2021, at the Rheumatology Department of Clinic Consultant at AlYarmouk Hospital. Personal information for each patient was obtained. Uric acid and creatinine were measured to study relationship between kidney function and the disease. White blood cells were counted to investigate the inflammation status. The results revealed that Both serum uric acid and serum creatinine concentration were significantly higher in gout patients as compared to controls. There is a positive correlation between gout and WBC count because of inflammation
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Zhu, Y., Pandya, B.J., et al., (2011). Prevalence of gout and hyperuricemia in the us general population: The national health and nutrition examination survey 2007-2008. Arthritis Rheum 63, 3136-3141.
- Vargas-Santos, A.B., Neogi, T., (2017). Management of gout and hyperuricemia in ckd. Am J Kidney Dis 70, 422-439.
- Schlesinger, N., (2010). Diagnosing and treating gout: A review to aid primary care physicians. Postgrad Med 122, 157-161.
- Schlesinger, N., (2017). The safety of treatment options available for gout. Expert Opin Drug Saf 16, 429-436.
- Moolenburgh, J.D., et al., (2006). Rasburicase treatment in severe tophaceous gout: A novel therapeutic option. Clin Rheumatol 25, 749-752.
- Wong, M.L., (2005). Optimal management of chronic gout: Attempting to render the (t)issues crystal-clear. N Z Med J 118, U1533
- Dong, Z., et al., (2018). Genetic variants in two pathways influence serum urate levels and gout risk: A systematic pathway analysis. Sci Rep 8, 3848.
- Dong Z, et al., (2015).. Association between ABCG2 Q141K polymorphism and gout risk affected by ethnicity and gender: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Rheum Dis 2015;18:382e91
- Beydoun, M.A., et al., (2018). Dietary factors are associated with serum uric acid trajectory differentially by race among urban adults. Br J Nutr 120, 935-945.
- Shih-Tsung Cheng et al. ,(2017). Association of ABCG2 rs2231142-A allele and serum uric acid levels in male and obese individuals in a Han Taiwanese population. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association 116, 18e23.
- Tietz. N.W. (1995). Clinical Guide to Laboratory Tests, 3rd Edition. W.B.
- Saunders Co. Philadelphia, PA.
- Young DS.( 2000). Effects of drugs on clinical laboratory tests, 5th ed.
- AACC Press, Tietz. N.W.text book of clinical chemistry 3rd ED. C.D. brutis , E.R ashwood W,B saunders (1999) p. 1239-1241
- Roddy E, Choi HK.( 2014). Epidemiology of gout. Rheum Dis Clin North Am; 40:155.
- Roddy E, Zhang W, Doherty M. (2007).The changing epidemiology of gout. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol ;3:443-9.
- Kutzing, M.K., Firestein, B.L., (2008). Altered uric acid levels and disease states. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 324, 1-7
- Roddy, E., Doherty, M., (2010). Epidemiology of gout. Arthritis research & therapy 12, 223-223.
- Grassi, D., Ferri, L., et al., (2013). Chronic hyperuricemia, uric acid deposit and cardiovascular risk. Curr Pharm Des 19, 2432-2438.
- Dalbeth, N., Stamp, L.K., et al., (2017). The genetics of gout: Towards personalised medicine? BMC Med 15, 108.
- Karapinar B., etal.,(2010).An unusual cause of multiple organ dysfunction syndrome in the pediatric intensive care uni t : hemophagocyt in lymphohistiocytosis. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2009; 10: 285–290
- Yun Sung Kim, et al., (2015)., Genetic analysis of ABCG2 and SLC2A9 gene poly-morphisms in gouty arthritis in a Korean popula¬tion, Korean J Intern Med 2015;30:913-920
- Woodward OM, Ko¨ttgen A, et al. (2009)., Identification of a urate transporter
- ABCG2, with a common functional polymorphism causing gout Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2009;106:10338e42.
- Wang F, et al. (2011)., Prognostic value of the multidrug resistance transporter ABCG2 gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with de novo acute leukaemia. Eur J Cancer 2011;47:1990e9.
- Yang Q, et al.(2010)., Multiple genetic loci influence serum urate levels and their relationship with gout and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2010;3:523e30.
- Stark K, et al.(2009)., Common polymorphisms influencing serum uric acid levels contribute to susceptibility to gout, but not to coronary artery disease. PLoS One 2009;4:e7729.
- Yusur Alnaqashli.(2020)., Genetic polymorphism in SLC2A9 gene and its association with some biochemical aspects in a sample of Iraqi gout patients A Thesis
- Submitted to the College of Biotechnology / Al -Nahrain University.